Chickpea Falafel with Cilantro Dip
14oz chickpea can, drained
6 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
oil for deep-frying
1 small fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
3 tbsp mayonnaise
salt and freshly ground pepper
sprig of cilantro for garnish
1. Put the chickpeas in a food processor or blender. Add the scallions and process to a smooth puree. Add the egg, turmeric, garlic, cumin and about 1 tbsp of chopped cilantro. Process briefly to mix, then season with salt and pepper.
2. With wet hands, shaped the mixture into about 16 small balls
3. Heat the oil for deep-frying to 350, or until a cube of bread added to the oil browns in 30-45 seconds. Deep-fry the falafel in batches for 2 -3 min. or until golden. Drain the falafel. Place in a serving bowl and keep warm.
4. Stir the remaining cilantro and the chile into the mayo. Garnish with cilantro sprig and serve with the falafel.
Spicy Chickpea and Eggplant Stew
3 large eggplant, cubed
1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight (or use canned)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3 x 14oz can chopped tomatos
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
sprigs of cilantro
1. Place the eggplant in the colander and sprinkle with salt. Set the colander in a bowl and let it sit for 30 min to allow the bitter juices to escape. Rinse the eggplant with cold water and dry. *Add some weight on the eggplant
2. Drain the chickpeas and put it in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Drain
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and the onion, cook until soft. Add the spices and cook stirring for a few seconds. Stir in the egg plant and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and season with sat and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. To make the garnish, heat the oil in a frying pan and, when very hot, add the sliced onion and the garlic. Fry until golden crisp. Serve the stew with rice, topped with the onion and garlic and garnished with cilantro.
Serve with Rice or Quinoa or any grain you like! :)